Thursday, October 8, 2009

Recipe: Cheese & Garlic Drop Biscuits

My blog schedule is a bit off this week due to some personal issues, so I'll try to get back on track soon. I made these lovely biscuits by combining 2 recipes and making this yummy new recipe. So delish and it paired really well with the baked rigatoni we had for dinner last night!



What's In It:
  • 2 C all purpose flour (healthy it up by using 1 C AP flour and 1 scant C of whole wheat flour)
  • 1 T sugar
  • 1 T baking powder
  • 1 t salt
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 1/2 C butter (1 stick)
  • 1 C milk
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 1/4-1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese*
All I had out was a blended cheese (Mexican style, so it had both cheddar and mozzarella), but it totally worked for this recipe. I love interchangeable ingredients!

How I Made It:
  1. Preheat oven to 350* and lightly grease a baking sheet. (I hate cleaning baking sheets. I lay down aluminum foil and grease that; just throw away when done.)
  2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and garlic powder in a bowl.
  3. Add in butter (should be nice and cold) and use either 2 knives in a criss-cross pattern or a pastry cutter and cut in butter until you have a mixture that looks a bit more like crumbs.
  4. Stir in milk until just moistened; the dough will be rather sticky.
  5. Mix in cheese until just incorporated.
  6. Drop dough by rounded spoonfuls onto baking sheet; you should get about 12 biscuits unless you make them big, which I did, and I got 9 biscuits. Notice in the picture that mine is not round. This way they look homemade! ;-)
  7. Bake for about 10 minutes but watch them!!! The first time I made these (sans garlic & cheese) I burnt them. Luckily for me my husband prefers his bread burnt and so he thought they were perfect. This time around, because they were bigger they took 12 minutes to bake up and NONE were burnt, much to my husband's disappointment.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome! I used to make a cheddar garlic drop biscuits using Bisquick, they are super yum. I don't know why I don't make them anymore, you've inspired me to find the recipe!

    ReplyDelete