Wednesday, January 6, 2010

When The Schedule Is Off A Bit...

Ever have one of those weeks? *sigh*


The Plan: Turkey & Dumplings

What We Had: Spaghetti with homemade sauce from the freezer

Why?: We had some unexpected (but happy they came by!!) company. I was more interested in spending time with them than worrying about dinner. So after they left to go home and get their own dinner, I realized it was already 6:00 p.m. It was faster to grab some spaghetti sauce from the freezer, thaw it out and heat it up while some noodles boiled on the stove, than to make turkey & dumplings. First time recipes take me longer.


The Plan: Waffles & Oranges

What We Had: Cereal

Why?: I had a migraine. I get pretty frequent migraines, but most are mild and OTC meds work just fine. My dr & I are on the same page about keeping me OFF prescription meds as long as OTC meds continue to work. I also go through periods of time where migraines can be more or less frequent. I suppose I had one coming. I didn't get hardly any in December despite hosting dinner for my husband's entire family. The particular migraine I had last night was not mild. I was in bed before 7:00 p.m. and couldn't walk without excruciating pain. Good news though: I'm starting to feel better!

So, here's to Wednesday! May it be bright and productive even though we are not having Wednesday's meal either. LOL I already have out the stuff from Monday's original dinner and I don't want it to waste, so I'm making turkey & dumplings tonight. I find that a meal plan is a great tool, one of the best you can have in a kitchen, but it helps when it's flexible and contains a few easy meals that can be manipulated to suit the cook's personal needs for the day.


  1. Hope you're feeling better!

    Stuff does happen ... you just have to be flexible. And at least you switched to another home-cooked meal. Many folks would just go out, or order in pizza. (not saying that's never happened at my house, LOL)

  2. I had a really bad habit for quite a while of making all meals that were, well, not difficult, but required more than heating up sauce & boiling noodles or throwing something into an oven. Having at least 1 super-easy meal on the menu plan means someone else can take over when I can't cook.